This is your source for information and resources available for the MapQuest Mobile Flash Maps API. Download the component, visit our forum, and explore samples written in AS3 and Flex using the Mobile Flash Maps API. The Mobile Flash Maps API has touch-friendly maps and controls, plus it has been streamlined for high performance on mobile devices. If you're looking to build a web/desktop application, please visit the Web/Desktop Flash Map API page.
See also: Differences Between Mobile and Web/Desktop Flash APIs (below).
Additionally, the Mobile Flash Maps API is also able to provide cross-platform capabilities thanks to Adobe's release of the Flex and Flash Builder 4.6 SDK. As a result, the API can support development of iOS, Android, Blackberry Tablet, Barnes & Noble Nook, and Kindle Fire applications using the same code base.
The Mobile Flash Maps API requires an Application Key (AppKey). To get an Application Key, please make sure you're logged in, then visit the Application Keys page.
Download the Mobile Flash Maps API Version 7.1.2c_MQ_MOBILE
The Mobile Flash Maps API Version 7.1.2c_MQ_MOBILE is available for download and features mapping, geocoding, reverse geocoding, routing, searching and various other functionality we've incorporated to make building powerful mapping applications easy.
MapQuest Mobile Flash Maps API Sample Application
The Mobile Sample application demonstrates the basics of using the MapQuest Mobile Flash Maps API in conjunction with Adobe Flex SDK 4.6 The source code for the Mobile Sample Application is available below. You can install this app by directly accessing it from the Android Market and the Apple App Store or by using the QR Code to the right.
Mobile Sample Application Source Code
Screenshots from the Mobile Sample Application.
We couldn't squeeze all the features of our web services in a single app - here are some other features you might be interested in.
For more samples, check out the samples on the web/desktop Flash Maps API page. While some functionality is different with the Mobile Flash Maps API, most of the core API is the same. This means that most of the samples seen on the main Flash Maps API page will be applicable for the Mobile Flash Maps API.
Mobile Flash Maps API vs. Web/Desktop Flash Maps API
The Mobile Flash Maps API has some differences when compared to the web/desktop version of the Flash Maps API. The following list describes the differences.
- By default, the TileMap object supports "pinch to zoom" (TransformGestureEvent). This can be disabled by setting the TileMap's usePinchZoom property to false.
- Double-tapping on the map zooms the map in one zoom level.
- Tapping with two fingers zooms the map out one zoom level.
- By default, the TileMap's scales have been removed to allow for more screen real estate. The scales can be enabled by setting the TileMap's showScales property to true.
- By default, the Hand Cursor does not appear. To enable the Hand Cursor, set the TileMap's showMobileCursor property to true.
- The MapQuest logo has been changed to display the MapQuest text only, and not the 'MQ' image, to allow for more screen real estate.
- The copyrights are removed to allow for more screen real estate. In place of the copyrights, a "terms" link that fades is used to allow more screen real estate.
- The default POI icon size has been increased to allow easier clicking/touching.
- The default InfoWindow width has been decreased to allow the entire contents of InfoWindows to appear on smaller screens.
- The default InfoWindow Close Button size has been increased to allow easier touching.
- Context menus have been removed.
- Traffic Incident InfoWindows do not display start and end times to save space.
- The Ocean Breeze controls are not supported.
- The Standard controls are not supported.
- Default Control Sets are not supported.
Still can't find what you're looking for? Check out our Flash Maps API Forum or visit our Contact Us page for information on how to contact us based on your product and issue.