There are two versions of the MapQuest Platform: Licensed Data and Open Data. This guide will help you choose what's right for you as numerous advantages exist for using either data set.
The MapQuest Platform on Licensed Data provides businesses and developers an industry-leading platform that includes the developer tools, resources, and industry expertise for building rich, engaging online mapping solutions for mobile, web and desktop applications. The data used is from the latest high-quality commercial data sources, and includes options for premium support of industrial strength mapping applications.
- Commercially updated and reliable data
- Traffic data (incidents and overlays)
- Accurate geocoding
- Ability to upload and search custom data
- 24/7 customer support (Enterprise License)
- Dedicated account management (Enterprise License)
OpenStreetMap data is leveraged in some areas within the Licensed Data stack where it provides value.
The MapQuest Platform on Licensed Data is available with an Enterprise Edition license. Please contact us to learn more about Enterprise Edition licensing and pricing.
The MapQuest Platform on Open Data is a result of our support for the open-source and open data community. The data powering our platform comes primarily from OpenStreetMap (OSM), the free and editable map of the whole world.
Because OSM is constantly being updated and improved by everyday people like you, the MapQuest Platform on Open Data continues to become more reliable and an excellent alternative for developing your next mapping application.
Seen to the left is a screenshot of editing a building footprint in OpenStreetMap using Potlatch 2.
If interested in becoming an OpenStreetMap contributor and learning more about the open community, please refer to the MapQuest Beginner's Guide to OpenStreetMap.
- Ability to add and edit data
- Map tiles updated ~15 mins after OSM data has been edited
- Significant level of detail in areas with a strong OSM community (i.e. Germany, UK, metropolitan areas)
- Large database of footpaths and bike paths for routing
- Elevation data (raw output and elevation profile)
- Flexible terms and conditions
- Custom tools to help improve OSM data
- Custom map tiles via the Mapnik style files
The MapQuest Platform on Open Data is available with a Free & Open license.