So we have a bonanza of beta and preview updates to share with you. We've been busy making a number of updates to the MapQuest Platform and we've been creating new Web Services and revising our client-side SDKs.
Here's what we've got to show you today:
AS3 SDK 6.0 - NEW!
We're happy to introduce the preview release of our AS3 SDKs, Version 6.0. This rewrite makes the SDK more modular, create smaller final .swfs, and add and improve a number of new features like:
- POI Decluttering Refactored
- Our popular Globe View has been refactored and made a separate component. We've even added a handy feature to let the globe reorient itself when you've turned your world upside-down.
- New Control Component style (Ocean Breeze) to match the ones available on MapQuest.com
- Raster images are now remotely loaded. So your application only pulls in what's needed
- Overview map control added
- Mouse-wheel zoom controls and keyboard controls added
- We've added a vector-based POI star. It's scalable and color-customizable too.
In this update, we've added:
- Route Options for tailoring your route
- Toggle Route Dragging on and off
- Basic mouse wheel support for zooming
Check out the updated documentation and samples here.
Long URL Web Service - NEW!
Today also marks the introduction of a new service which will allow you to manage large GET requests in Internet Explorer, which can't handle them. While we've put a lot of effort into making our URLs smaller and sane to the human eye, there are still scenarios where a complex request can get pretty beefy. Our new Long URL Web Service will automatically chunk-up the request and still be able to use a JSONP callback in the response.
Directions Web Service - UPDATED!
We've also added a Route Shape feature. This will allow you to return a route shape from a previous request without have to re-run the route.
Even more features and updates are in the works. Stay Tuned.