I'll start by saying a belated Happy Thanksgiving to everyone. We hope you all had a great Turkey-Day.
Last week we released the Static Map Service live into Production at http://www.mapquestapi.com/staticmap. We've been blogging about the features of it as they've rolled out into Beta, but the Production Launch seems like a good time to give a nice summary of them all.
- Get A Map
- Embed a printer-friendly MapQuest Map image on your web page without requiring any code, by accepting querystring parameters on the image URL.Basic parameters are center point, zoom level, height, width, and whether or not you want any POI icons on it
- Put a route highlight on your static map by passing in a sessionID from the Directions Service, or by providing the line co-ordinates
- Auto Best Fit
- If you provide POIs without providing a zoom level and a map center, we will return a map that fits all your POIs on it, as zoomed in as possible
- Map Styles
- get Street, Aerial, and hybrid maps. Also get street maps in a variety of other styles including black & white or european or classic MapQuest - Check the documentation for the full list.
- Draw lines on the map
- pass in raw or compressed shapepoints to draw polylines on the map.
- Either set
declutter=truefor an automatic decluttering of overlapping POIs, or manually specify an X/Y pixel offset for each icon
- getPlacemap single-line address function
- the very convenient
/getPlaceMap?location=function takes a single line address and optionally a single icon, to provide a short-cut method of getting a static map for a location without needing to have the geocoded lat/lngs first.
- Custom Icons
- Provide the URL for your own custom icon to use for a POI. We'll grab the icon, cache it for performance, and use it on the map. If you change the icon there's a function to flush it from our cache and grab the updated version.
- Add Traffic to the map
- You can specify incidents, construction, traffic flow, or all together, to be shown on the map. Point to note - the traffic is Real-Time, so whoever is looking at the map will see the state of traffic at the time they are looking, not the state of traffic you saw when you made the map.
- Multiple Image Formats
- Support for jpg, png, gif image output formats. no real need to show images of this - just tell us the image format that works best for your application.
A basic map, with a POI on it
A best-fitted map
A hybrid map
European style map
Map with a line drawing on it, using compressed format
An auto-decluttered map
A map generated using an address or location
A map with a custom icon
Traffic map with incidents, construction, and traffic flow
Don't forget to check out the full documentation at http://www.mapquestapi.com/staticmap/
Stay tuned - it's not Christmas yet! we've got a few updates left in us before the end of the year...