Paid key, intermittent 403 error "not a valid Key"

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
karen
Paid key, intermittent 403 error "not a valid Key"

I'm seeing every few calls to the Directions API result in a 403 error with the "not a valid key" message below. Identical back-to-back calls will succeed and then fail. I tested this key and our app 100s of times about a week ago and never saw this error, but now it is regularly failing. Please help.

"This is not a valid key. Please check that you have entered this correctly. If you do not have a key, you can obtain a free key by registering at http://developer.mapquest.com."

Thanks,
Karen 

P.S. I submitted a help request with the "Contact Us" link so if someone is already looking into this thank you and please ignore this new request. I didn't receive any reply so wasn't sure if that one went through.

MQBrianCoakley
Did this happen for a
Did this happen for a specific time period and stop? If so, when did it happen?   If not, are you still seeing this now?

karen
This is still happening. I

This is still happening. I first noticed it on Monday 09/07 when I sent in the "Contact Us" help request. It's still happening now; I just tried 4 identical Directions calls and 3 succeeded and 1 failed with the 403 error. It's now very unreliable, but when we were testing with this key around Sept 1 we never saw this error during 100s of calls. Can someone please look up our key and see why this is happening? 

support.82
Same issue

We are also seeing this issue, it seems to come and go in waves. Since 7th September it's been about 40% of requests have failed.

This is a licensed data key on the free plan calling  http://www.mapquestapi.com/directions/v2/route

MQBrianCoakley
Thanks for the information.
Thanks for the information. We're looking into this.

support.82
Just to update, I've looked

Just to update, I've looked again at our logs - on the 7th September we were getting an HTTP 403 response with the message "The AppKey submitted with this request is invalid". I think we were actually providing our old Free & Open key for a few hours due to a deployment issue.

On the 8th and 9th September, we've definitely been providing the correct key and the response has actually been an HTTP 200 status with the following response JSON:

{"route":{"routeError":{"message":"","errorCode":3}},"info":{"copyright":{"text":"© 2015 MapQuest, Inc.","imageUrl":"http://api.mqcdn.com/res/mqlogo.gif","imageAltText":"© 2015 MapQuest, Inc."},"statuscode":403,"messages":["This is not a valid key. Please check that you have entered this correctly. If you do not have a key, you can obtain a free key by registering at http://developer.mapquest.com."]}}

karen
One or two out of every four

One or two out of every four requests are still failing for me. Just tried open.mapquestapi.com/directions instead and it worked fine, so maybe this is just a problem with the licensed data?

sjohnsen
Is there any update on this?

Is there any update on this? I am still seeing this happen as of today. Thanks!

support.82
We are still seeing this

We are still seeing this behaviour regularly. Still an HTTP 200 response with a JSON object containing a statuscode: 403 and the error message as above.

It's very disappointing that there's still been no resolution or any update on this thread, a week since it was reported.

datafocus
+1. My tests have been

+1. My tests have been erroring since September 9th with "HTTP Error 403: Forbidden".

admin.107
Same Problem Any Update?

Same Problem

Any Update?

datafocus
Looking into this a bit more.

Looking into this a bit more. I've been using geopy which uses Map quests Nominatim. According to Geopy "No API Key is needed by the Nominatim based platform". It appears this has changed and an API key is now required. Requests sent out by geopy do not contain an API key even when one is specified. 

MQBrianCoakley
You're getting the error from
You're getting the error from Nominatim, not the directions api?   Nominatim does require a key now. You should have a free key just for creating your Developer Network login. You can sign up for other plans at the Pricing & Plans link in the upper right.

Netlift
Also reported this issue on

Also reported this issue on Sept. 2 here:

https://developer.mapquest.com/forum/intermittent-403-response-0

Still no answer (i.e. not much to be learned from there; just linking issues together, since they are the same)

mtiernay
Hi,

Hi,

I'm also having this problem.  Using the Directions API.  I get errors about 30% of the time.

One question i have is, when we get a 403 error, does this count against our call limit?

MQBrianCoakley
We're still unable to
We're still unable to recreate the issue. Can you post a specific url that is failing?

support.82
I haven't seen this recur

I haven't seen this recur since the 24th September, so potentially it is resolved. It's frustrating though that we are now running very close to our transaction limit for the month having wasted large numbers of lookups retrying / debugging requests that failed on your side...